What is High Functioning Anxiety?
High-functioning anxiety is characterized by constant anxiety that does not appear to have a negative impact on daily activities. A person with high-functioning social anxiety, for instance, may still go to functions even though they don’t want to. Symptoms of high-functioning anxiety have less to do with the intensity of the anxiety and more to do with the way a person with anxiety often responds to it. Individuals with high-functioning anxiety may have a positive outward appearance. They are able to juggle all the demands of today’s society, including family and work. This article entails an analysis of high-functioning anxiety in students with addiction issues. The piece has been prepared by addiction treatment experts from Taylor Recovery Center, the best luxury rehab in Houston.
Understanding High-Functioning Anxiety in Students with Addiction Issues
There is a complicated interaction of elements that can amplify the difficulties of both diseases when high-functioning anxiety is present in students with addiction problems. The rigors of school, peer pressure, and the pursuit of perfection are common causes of anxiety. Keeping up appearances while battling addiction can lead to high-functioning anxiety that is difficult to spot. Persistent worry, perfectionism, restlessness, impatience, and an intense aversion to failure are all symptoms of high-functioning anxiety that may be present in such people.
Signs of High-Functioning Anxiety
- Physical symptoms. Physical symptoms of high-functioning anxiety include but are not limited to, muscle tension, migraines, and stomach discomfort.
- Students often set impossibly high standards for themselves, fearing even minor mistakes may lead to failure.
- A relentless drive to excel academically or professionally, often at the cost of personal well-being and relaxation.
- Withdrawing socially. Students may delay getting help for addiction because they fear being stigmatized or ridiculed.
Coping Strategies for Students with High-Functioning Anxiety and Addiction Issues
- Get Expert Assistance. Recognizing there is a problem and asking for help is the first step. High-functioning anxiety and addiction are two conditions that can benefit from the coping skills provided by mental health counselors.
- Practicing Relaxation and Mindfulness Techniques. Anxiety can be controlled and relief found via the use of techniques like meditation and deep breathing exercises.
- Support Networks. It is essential to have a solid network of support. Making connections with those who are going through similar struggles with addiction and anxiety can help.
Treating High-Functioning Anxiety
The aforementioned methods have the potential to be quite useful. However, consulting with a mental health expert is also important when dealing with high-functioning anxiety. The following therapy approaches have been shown to be effective in treating anxiety in those with high-functioning anxiety.
- Young adults can benefit from cognitive behavioral therapy because it helps them reframe harmful thought habits.
- Family Therapy. Anxiety and poor self-esteem can both have their roots in damaged attachment relationships, which can be addressed through family therapy.
- People with high-functioning anxiety can benefit from Dialectical Behavioral Therapy because it encourages them to examine their assumptions about who they are and how others see them.
- To help young people find and act on their most important values, Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) provides a framework for doing so.
- Group Therapy. High-functioning anxiety in young adults can be treated well through group therapy.
Taylor Recovery Center Offers a One-of-a-Kind Dual Diagnosis Treatment For Individuals Struggling With High-Functioning Anxiety and Addiction.
Taylor Recovery Center is here to provide the all-encompassing care and support necessary for recovery if you or a student you know is battling with high-functioning anxiety and addiction concerns. Taylor Recovery Center is a renowned luxury rehab in Houston, Texas, so you can expect a calm and soothing environment. Our tailored programs are designed to help students overcome their individual obstacles. We are here to assist you or a loved one in overcoming addiction and high-functioning anxiety through individualized solutions and a solid support system, with a focus on healing and empowerment. Contact Taylor Center today!